Acute Admissions Unit, Dykebar Hospital, Paisley
Client: Renfrewshire and Inverclyde Primary Care NHS Trust
Contract value: £3,860,000 Completed: December 2002
The unit provides 3 single and mixed sex wards with en-suite single rooms. Meeting and welfare facilities for patients are located to enjoy the greenbelt views, and a further 2-storey wing accommodates staff and support services.
This specially designed admissions department gives inherent protection to both staff and patients, with anti-ligature fitments and anti-barricade doors standard throughout the unit. Nurses’ stations enjoy a commanding central position in each ward, with natural light and open-plan desking. An access audit was carried out to the unit, whose design features the practice’s developing philosophies for healthcare buildings, including:
- Clear wayfinding for patients and staff, through non-institutional layouts.
- Choice of finishes based on colour psychology.
- Maximum use of natural light and ventilation.
- Security and comfort for all users, through integral design solutions.
- Consultation with all user groups.
The external courtyards provide patios and gardens for the day spaces, and Strathclyde Police recently awarded ‘Secured by Design’ certification to the project.